Green’s Park is a highly visible community park located off of M-24. This 2-acre park is the Village’s only park on Lake Orion, with about 560 feet of frontage. History Green’s Park consists of five parcels in Supervisor’s Plat No. 6 which were acquired over a 50 year span. The first parcel was obtained in January 1937, and covered the central part of the current Park including approximately 310 feet of shoreline. However, the deed also included the submerged land extending out into the water 45 feet from shore.
Use of that submerged land contained the following restriction: that the Village of Lake Orion will not operate or allow to be operated any watercraft of any name or nature whatsoever for hire or gain, to and from the above described property…provided, however, that is party of the first part (sellers) or the Lake Orion Navigation Co. fails (sic) to operate watercraft for transportation for a period of one week during the Resort Season from May 30 to September 10 of each year, then party of the second park (Village) may at its pleasure allow watercraft to use the above described property to run such services.
There was excluded from the property bought by the Village two parcels of land, each of which is 16 feet by 50 feet, and each of which has been previously sold for boat house privileges. The Village bought one of those parcels in October 1944. In May 1957, part of Lot 23 was obtained by a Quit Claim Deed. The Village acquired the balance of Lots 22 and 23 in June 1983. In December 1987, the remaining 16 feet by 50 feet of Lot 25 was sold to the Village, and the Park was complete. In August 1927, the Village had obtained a strip of submerged land along what is now the southern edge of the Park. Green’s Park was named after one of the original owners of property that is now part of the park.
In 1989, the Downtown Development Authority (DDA) authorized the use of $90,000 of its funds for several improvements to the park. The major activity was the construction of restrooms and a changing facility. Other improvements included fencing and landscaping.
The use of Green’s Park is mostly restricted to Village residents (permit required), but in past years, the Village Council has voted to open up the Park to non-Village residents. Some examples are: the annual swim lessons provided by the Village; the Orion Historical Society’s annual boat tour of Lake Orion; and a viewing area for the annual Venetian Boat Parade and fireworks over the 4th of July weekend. At its January 22, 2001 meeting, the Village Council approved opening the park to the general public and establishing a fee schedule for its use. Facilities Green’s Park features several recreation amenities and facilities. The parking lot and entrance area is located adjacent to M-24. The parking lot to the park is partially paved, and partially gravel. The entrance to Green’s Park features two structures, a restroom facility and a concession/storage facility. Within the main park area, facilities include a basketball hoop, playground area, swings, picnic tables, water fountains, grills, benches and bike racks.
Current Improvements The DDA financed a $250,000 lighting and fencing project along M-24, including the area in front of Green's Park. The M-24 project is scheduled for completion in 2009. The DDA is actively pursing grants for all DDA district parks, including those for major improvements to Green's Park.
The Lake Orion Downtown Development Authority (DDA) is seeking a qualified firm to prepare and submit proposals to develop an identity for the DDA and for Downtown Lake Orion.
TOP 5 REASONS TO COME DOWNTOWN:
118 N. BroadwayLake Orion, MI 48362 Office: 248-693-9742 Fax: 248-693-9749E-Mail: email@example.com
Lake Orion Farmers Market